Friday, May 7, 2010

Yes, You Have Them Too

Do you know someone whose gifts are so evident that yours seem to pale in comparison? You know, the kind of person you want to physically injure because she got all the talent? The kind of person who prompts the passive/aggressive voice of insecurity inside you to jump out and scream, "Lord, why does sheeeeee have all the gifts, all the looks, etc.?" Well, I'm not one of those people. In fact, I'm the one who has asked God that gut-gnawing question many times, and I've spent much of my life just trying to find one thing I actually do well.

So last fall, I started scrapbooking. I had collected sentimental items, paper, and embellishments for years, and it all finally came together when I opened that Cricut Christmas morning. (If you don't know what that is, you don't want to know now, because it brings new meaning to the word "addiction".) As soon as I laid eyes on that blessed box, I've been a new woman, a paper-cutting, bow-tying, glue-sticking, button-sewing, encouraging maniac who can't get enough. Someone can prick a finger, and I'm on it. I'm their man. Forget the wedding scrapbook. Cardmaking is IT.

First Corinthians 12:4 tells us: "Now there are different gifts, but the same Spirit." God has given every single one of us gifts. Sure, some are more obvious, and I believe an extroverted person's gifts will be seen much more quickly than those an introvert. Quiet people tend to stay "behind the scenes", and I've been thinking lately that keeping our gifts to ourselves isn't really a good thing. We do it for one of two reasons: 1) because we're too insecure to let others see them, or 2) because we're being humble.

Let's examine those reasons for a few seconds. If we believe we have a gift, but we're too insecure to put it out there, how can we use it to glorify God? And if we think God has given us a gift, but we don't let people see it, aren't we really hiding God's glory instead of being humble?

The key is found in Colossians 3:23: "Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men." Everyone wants to make a difference, but why even concern ourselves with whether something is a gift or not? Isn't that more of a self-focus than a God-focus? (I'm preaching to the choir, folks.) If we enjoy doing it and believe we should be doing it, it's probably a gift, but more importantly, as long as we are doing it for God, then it's a gift to Him, and that's what really matters. After all, it came from Him, so wouldn't it be nice to use it to bless His heart?

How would you like to honor God with your gift today?

No comments:

Post a Comment