Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Remember

I came across this "remember" texticon a few minutes ago. The truth is, I've been feeling really down lately over some blended family issues. We have battled many things trying to "blend" into a family unit, and almost 8 years later, it's still the most trying and seemingly impossible thing I've ever undertaken.

As I was searching for a texticon to send someone, this one popped out at me. Boy, it was just what the Doctor ordered! I was reminded of the many times the Word says, "Remember...." Below are some Scriptures, and I've italicized the word "remember" in them.

"Search for the LORD and for His strength; seek His face always. Remember the wonderful works He has done, His wonders, and the judgments He has pronounced, you offspring of Israel His servant, Jacob's descendants--His chosen ones." 1 Chronicles 16:11-13

"After I made an inspection, I stood up and said to the nobles, the officials, and the rest of the people, "Don't be afraid of them. Remember the great and awe-inspiring Lord, and fight for your countrymen, your sons and daughters, your wives and homes. When our enemies realized that we knew their scheme and that God had frustrated it, every one of us returned to his own work on the wall." Nehemiah 4:14-15

[One of the reasones the enemy wants to hinder us is so we can't do the work the Lord has set out for us. Notice verse 15 above.]

"what is man that You remember him, the son of man that You look after him? You made him little less than God and crowned him with glory and honor." Psalm 8:4-5

"Remember, LORD, Your compassion and Your faithful love, for they have existed from antiquity. Do not remember the sins of my youth or my acts of rebellion; in keeping with Your faithful love, remember me because of Your goodness, LORD." Psalm 25:6-7

"At night I remember my music; I meditate in my heart, and my spirit ponders. Will the Lord reject forever and never again show favor? Has His faithful love ceased forever? Is His promise at an end for all generations? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has He in anger withheld His compassion?" Selah. So I say, "It is my sorrow that the right hand of the Most High has changed." I will remember the LORD's works; yes, I will remember Your ancient wonders. I will reflect on all You have done and meditate on Your actions. God, Your way is holy. What god is great like God? You are the God who works wonders; You revealed Your strength among the peoples. With power You redeemed Your people, the descendants of Jacob and Joseph. Selah. The waters saw You, God. The waters saw You; they trembled. Even the depths shook. The clouds poured down water. The storm clouds thundered; Your arrows flashed back and forth. The sound of Your thunder was in the whirlwind; lightning lit up the world. The earth shook and quaked. Your way went through the sea, and Your path through the great waters, but Your footprints were unseen. You led Your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron." Psalm 77:6-20

"How often they rebelled against Him in the wilderness and grieved Him in the desert. They constantly tested God and provoked the Holy One of Israel. They did not remember His power shown on the day He redeemed them from the foe, when He performed His miraculous signs in Egypt and His marvels in the region of Zoan." Psalm 78:40-43

"Remember Your word to Your servant; You have given me hope through it. This is my comfort in my affliction: Your promise has given me life." Psalm 119: 49-50

"My spirit is weak within me; my heart is overcome with dismay. I remember the days of old; I meditate on all You have done; I reflect on the work of Your hands." Psalm 143:4-5

I haven't looked any of these "remember" words up in the concordance today, but I know that God's kind of remembering doesn't mean "to not forget", but it means "to choose to remember, to bring to mind". Just like how God remembers our sins no more. God knows everything. He doesn't forget. What is so awesome about Him in this area is that He chooses not to bring our sins to mind. I've never thought of it this way, but I guess it's kind of like how we have to cast down thoughts and feelings to live victoriously. It's all in the choice. Isn't it wonderful that God chose not to bring our sins to mind?

One thing I've always noticed about David is that, when he was down in the dumps, he chose to "remember" the awesome works of God. David was no dummy. He knew the key to tapping into that quiet spirit that only God can give us. This morning, I was very depressed. I am not much of a cryer over sad, personal situations, but I was really tearful this morning. Then I remembered...I got up and came straight to e-Sword (my computer Bible) to read some remembering Scriptures. Have I gotten much done since that time? No, but do I feel hopeful? Yes! How can I not when I remind myself of who God is and the mighty things He has done for me? His has held out His hand of salvation for me time and time again, and it is not too short for Him to handle this. I think of the verse in Jeremiah (?) where He says, "I am the LORD they God. Is anything too hard for Me?" This is small beans to my God!! As my friend Jennifer would say, "God's got it!"

"I am deeply depressed; therefore I remember You from the land of Jordan and the peaks of Hermon, from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep in the roar of Your waterfalls; all Your breakers and Your billows have swept over me. The LORD will send His faithful love by day; His song will be with me in the night--a prayer to the God of my life. I will say to God, my rock, 'Why have You forgotten me? Why must I go about in sorrow because of the enemy's oppression?' My adversaries taunt me, as if crushing my bones, while all day long they say to me, 'Where is your God?' Why am I so depressed? Why this turmoil within me? Put your hope in God, for I will still praise Him, my Savior and my God." Psalm 42:6-11

No comments:

Post a Comment